deadlock or bad disk ? RELENG_8

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat Mar 26 05:04:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 09:55:23PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On 3/25/2011 9:28 PM, Steven Hartland wrote:
> >
> > Interesting, camcontrol reports the following, so does that indicate it
> > may be possible to do this:
> > camcontrol devlist
> > <Areca ARC-1220-VOL#00 R001>       at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass0)
> > <Areca RAID controller R001>       at scbus0 target 16 lun 0 (pass1)
> >
> > The suspected failing disk will be back in the office next week so
> > we'll have a look and see what smart reports and post it.
>
> It does get some info from the controller, but not the individual disks
>
>  smartctl -a /dev/da0
> smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE amd64] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
>
> Device: Areca    usrvar           Version: R001
> Serial number: 0000002992326304
> Device type: disk
> Transport protocol: Fibre channel (FCP-2)
> Local Time is: Fri Mar 25 21:50:19 2011 EDT
> Device supports SMART and is Enabled
> Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
> SMART Health Status: OK

smartmontools here insists the disk is a SCSI disk.  I believe the
ARC-1220 handles SATA disks.

I would say "try smartctl -d ata" or "smartctl -d sat" but I'm willing
to bet those throw errors in this situation -- or they might do
something like show the drive model string, etc. but not get SMART
attributes (yes I've seen this, but on Solaris).