SAS HBA LSI 9200-8e supported under 8.2?

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Mon Mar 21 23:10:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Denny Schierz wrote:

DS> > LSI 9200-8e is based on the SAS2008 chip and the driver for that chip (mps)
DS> > has recently been merged
DS> > from current into stable but before 8.2-RELEASE. Therefore if you're using
DS> > 8.2-RELEASE iso image to
DS> > install FreeBSD on a SAS2008 system - you won't see any disks whatsoever.
DS> > Unfortunately I can't find an 8.2-STABLE snapshot on the
DS> > ftp.freebsd.orgeither which would have
DS> > contained the mps driver. I hope someone who's capable of doing this can
DS> > build one.
DS>
DS> thanks a lot for this way, but we don't need to install BSD on the SAS
DS> disks :-) For the system itself we have to SATA disk (Raid1 gmirror or
DS> raidz, if it isn't to complicated) and the SAS we need only for ISCSI
DS> with ZFS.
DS>
DS> So maybe we need only to recompile the kernel or modules to get it
DS> running.

FWIW, (and you can find info about it in mailing list archives) I just built
and about to out it into day-to-day use 8.2-stable system, working as
big-just-in-case archive with sources from Mar1 based on SuperMicro case/mobo
with LSI SAS2008 + LSI expander + 24 SATA RE4 disk bays.

For now (and array is only half filled with disks) I'm very glad to have
one-thread 500 MBps+ read stream from raidz2 array ;)

Booting from mps (while I had to set up gmirror, as only 12 disks are exported
to BIOS, hence very large raidz's are not allowed to boot from) was not a
problem either.

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]