SAS HBA LSI 9200-8e supported under 8.2?

Rumen Telbizov telbizov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 18:09:34 UTC 2011

Denny,

LSI 9200-8e is based on the SAS2008 chip and the driver for that chip (mps)
has recently been merged
from current into stable but before 8.2-RELEASE. Therefore if you're using
8.2-RELEASE iso image to
install FreeBSD on a SAS2008 system - you won't see any disks whatsoever.
Unfortunately I can't find an 8.2-STABLE snapshot on the
ftp.freebsd.orgeither which would have
contained the mps driver. I hope someone who's capable of doing this can
build one.

Now in the meantime what I suggest is that you do the following (that's what
I do):
1. Install 8.2-RELEASE on a system that uses another, supported, controller.
2. Upgrade it to latest STABLE and recompile world and kernel. Make sure you
have device mps in the kernel configuration.
3. Download http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/iso/mfsbsd-8.2-amd64.iso which is a small
ram live system.
Still it doesn't have mps. I wrote an email to Martin Matuska requesting a
build against stable but he didn't reply.
4. Replace the kernel in the mfsbsd with the kernel that you've built. Copy
zfs.ko and opensolaris.ko too
5. Boot mfsbsd from PXE (easiest) and install the system as per
http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS#head-378d1d7d308d71637a3466a4f98f845aaeaa116a
if you're planning on using ZFS root.

Improvisation in the above process is strongly suggested ;)
I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Rumen Telbizov

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 4:02 AM, Denny Schierz <denny at denny-schierz.de>wrote:

> hi,
>
> I'm new to BSD and I want to know, if the SAS HBA LSI 9200-8e is
> supported under FreeBSD 8.2.
> We installed FreeBSD on SATA disks, but I can't see any devices through
> the SAS HBA, so maybe I have to load the driver first.
>
> cu denny

Rumen Telbizov
http://telbizov.com