happy hacker lite 2 keyboard

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Mar 18 18:52:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 06:20:22PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Zoran Kolic <zkolic at sbb.rs> wrote:
>
> > They are all usb models nowadays.
>
> PS/2 is dead.  Get used to it.

Hear, hear.

Not to get off-track, but I want to make you aware:

There are known complexities with FreeBSD and USB-based keyboards (such
as if the kernel crashes before the USB stack and kbdmux can get
configured, you can't type anything).  The "USB Legacy" or "USB
Emulation" option in a BIOS doesn't help -- the kernel is already loaded
at that point, so emulation interrupts induced by the BIOS (to emulate
USB keyboard->PS/2) are lost.  The only thing this option helps is the
boot0/boot2/loader stages.

There are also problems when dropping to single-user mode (occasionally
the keyboard won't work); nothing ticks me off more than doing a system
upgrade only to find that one can't type at the "Select a shell or hit
enter for /bin/sh" prompt.

There is evidence that disabling kbdmux and/or atkbd/atkbc can help, but
for some people this isn't an option (such as those using laptops who
do need/rely on kbdmux).

There has been improvement in this area between 8.0 and 8.2, but I
stopped tracking the efforts and switched everything FreeBSD I had over
to PS/2 because I can't chance it any longer.

I would love to know how Linux solved this predicament, if at all.

God I love PC architecture.  ;-)