kldload if_carp fails on 8.2 when kernel built without SCTP option -- link_elf_obj: symbol sha1_loop undefined

Mikhail Tsatsenko m.tsatsenko at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:41:27 UTC 2011

Hello!

I have amd64 FreeBSD-8.2 box and found that kldload'ing if_carp fails
with "link_elf_obj: symbol sha1_loop undefined" message.
When using a kernel with SCTP option the problem goes away.
Is it intentional? Is carp really needs SCTP?

Also if I run ld manually the module loads fine:
cd /usr/src/sys/modules/if_carp && make && ld  -d -warn-common -r -d
-o if_carp.ko ip_carp.o
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XGATE/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/crypto/sha1.o
&& make load.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with with kernel build process and
need advice how to make happy if_carp module and my kernel.

--
 Mikhail