statd/lockd startup failure

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Wed Mar 9 23:03:37 UTC 2011

> Thanks for the analysis. The reason I originally posted is to see why
> this might have popped up in 8.x, as it never happened in 7.x.
> -- George Mitchell

I suspect two things make this occur more frequently with 8.x. One is
that it does IPv6 first (I suspect IPv6 wasn't enabled by default on 7.x?).

The other is the port randomization code, which probably results in
more frequent collisions with port #s used by other things. (Basically,
the code selects an unused port# for either UDP or TCP over IPv6 (I can't
remember which comes first:-) and then expects that port to be available
for the other 3 combinations of UDP/TCP x IPv6/IPv4.

rick