Panic from linux emulation (flashplugin)

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed Mar 9 05:08:13 UTC 2011

Well it started happening again. Basically what I did was rebuild all of
ports which downgraded my nvidia driver. I was getting consistent crashes
in youtube after this happened. I upgraded my nvidia driver to 260.19.44
by modifying the port and now I can't get it to crash anymore.

*HOWEVER*

This may or may not be unrelated -- I'm running opera and have a youtube
video hidden in another tab. I have upgraded my nvidia driver but didn't
reboot, just removed the kernel module and started X again. For some
reason the Youtube video in the hidden tab is able to be seen when I put
my terminal over the area where it would be if it was in the active tab.
http://feld.me/stuff/flash_bug.png is an example of it.

I haven't yet rebooted to see what happens on a clean boot, but this is
certainly interesting... perhaps bad flash/linuxulator behavior that
doesn't trip a panic in the newer nvidia drivers? Weird stuff either way...

Now that I have seemingly figured out the combination to a crash I'll see
if I can catch one on the console and have something worthwhile to report.

Regards,

Mark