sys/x86/isa/clock.c:189: undefined reference to `cyclic_clock_func'

J. Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Tue Mar 8 08:29:58 UTC 2011

Hello Stable@,

Compiling a kernel on stable/8 with DTrace support is failing with the
above subject line upon linking kernel.debug.

The text leading up to this is:
ctfconvert -L VERSION -g vers.o
linking kernel.debug
clock.o(.text+0x84c): In function `clkintr':
/usr/src/sys/x86/isa/clock.c:189: undefined reference to
`cyclic_clock_func'

And upon inspection of clock.c:
#ifdef KDTRACE_HOOKS
#include <sys/dtrace_bsd.h>
#endif

And in clkintr():
#ifdef KDTRACE_HOOKS
         /*
          * If the DTrace hooks are configured and a callback function
          * has been registered, then call it to process the high speed
          * timers.
          */
         int cpu = PCPU_GET(cpuid);
         if (cyclic_clock_func[cpu] != NULL)
                 (*cyclic_clock_func[cpu])(frame);
#endif

It seems for some odd reason that <sys/dtrace_bsd.h> is being forgotten
when it comes time for linking ? What is going on here ?

Id like to just remove the ifdef's for KDTRACE_HOOKS just to get the build
to finish but in the case that I want to build another kernel without
dtrace I would have to add them back. Anyone have a better fitting
solution to this ?

Would it be just as good to re-ifdef this to ?WITH_CTF? instead.

Anyway... this is latest code from stable/8 on i386. And yes options
KDTRACE_HOOKS is in the kernel config.

And the command that caused all this:
( make kernel WITH_CTF=1 )

--