Question about packages installed via `pkg_add -r`

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Mar 6 08:30:43 UTC 2011

"illoai at gmail.com" <illoai at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 March 2011 20:00, Yue Wu <vanopen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> For (1), do you mean 'preserve', as in save a copy? ?If so, then
> >> 'portmaster -b [...]' will save a backup copy of installed packages.
> >
> > Yes, I mean 'preserve'...
>
> from man 1 pkg_add:
>
> -K, --keep
>  Keep any downloaded package in PKGDIR if it is defined or in cur-
>  rent directory by default.

Last time I tried it, pkg_add -r -K did indeed save local copies of
the packages fetched from the remote repository, but a problem arose
when one later wanted to _use_ that local stash while falling back to
-r behavior for anything not found locally.  Last I knew there was no
easy way to tell pkg_add to do that.