Question about packages installed via `pkg_add -r`

Yue Wu vanopen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 01:14:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 08:02:47PM -0500, illoai at gmail.com wrote:
> On 5 March 2011 20:00, Yue Wu <vanopen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, sorry for poor English, I will try to explan clearer with my
> > best.

> >> For (1), do you mean 'preserve', as in save a copy?  If so, then
> >> 'portmaster -b [...]' will save a backup copy of installed packages.
> >
> > Yes, I mean 'preserve'. I've maned portmaster, seems -b is for a
> > installed package, so it will preserve it by packing up the files from a
> > installed package, why not preserve it just when fetching with `pkg_add
> > -r`? I think it's the best way, I don't like the portmaster way to do it
> > after.
>
> from man 1 pkg_add:
>
>      -K, --keep
>              Keep any downloaded package in PKGDIR if it is defined or in cur-
>              rent directory by default.

Thanks, sorry for no attentively reading ;p

Another question arises after checking the pkg 'pkg_add' saves, why the
pkg doesn't have a version appended to its name, it's hard to know the
version the pkg downloaded...

--
Regards,
Yue Wu

Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
China Pharmaceutical University
No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China