Question about packages installed via `pkg_add -r`

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Sat Mar 5 16:04:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 11:04:36PM +0800, Yue Wu wrote:

> I'm trying to use package instead of ports these day, but a few
> questions have:
>
> 1. How to reserve packages that fetched via `pkg_add -r`?
>
> 2. How to know if there are updates for packages, and how to update?

For (1), do you mean 'preserve', as in save a copy?  If so, then
'portmaster -b [...]' will save a backup copy of installed packages.

There may be a better way, but one way to deal with (2) is to have an
up-to-date ports tree. Then 'pkg_version -vL=' will show you which of
your ports are out of date. Then 'portmaster -PP [...]' will force
package use for updates.

If you have an up-to-date ports tree, then I think that

	portmaster -abPP

will update all of your ports, using packages, and save a backup copy
of the installed versions.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL