FYI: Userspace DTrace MFC to stable/8

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Mar 1 09:42:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 11:03:07AM +0200, Nikolay Denev wrote:
> On 1 Mar, 2011, at 01:33 , Robert Watson wrote:
>
> > Dear all:
> >
> > Just an FYI that I've gone ahead and merged userspace DTrace support to FreeBSD 8.x from 9.x.  While it appeared to pass build tests locally, boot and run, etc, this is a non-trivial merge, and it's possible I've messed up.  If so, apologies in advance, and I'll try to resolve any problems as quickly as I can!
> >
> > And of course, many thanks go to Rui Paulo, who did the port of userspace DTrace to FreeBSD 9.x with support from the FreeBSD Foundation!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Robert N M Watson
> > Computer Laboratory
> > University of Cambridge
> >

> That's great news! Many thanks to all that made this possible!
>
> I have a quick question though, now do I have to rebuild my world with "WITH_CTF" ?
> I'm asking because I did that by mistake some months ago on a RELENG_8 machine, and
> the world that was built had some problems, like gcc giving segfault 11 while compiling world or some ports.

I wasn't able to reproduce such a problem back then, nor am I now.
sig11 during builds usually indicates a hardware issue (RAM going bad,
system overheating, or maybe some crazy compiler options you've
specified in make.conf).

Please be aware on RELENG_8 you need to do this:

cd /usr/src
make buildworld WITH_CTF=1
make buildkernel WITH_CTF=1
make installkernel
{...the rest is normal per src/Makefile...}

The WITH_CTF=1 portion cannot be put into /etc/src.conf or
/etc/make.conf; it must be entered manually.

To reiterate and make it extra clear: this is for RELENG_8.

HEAD/CURRENT is a completely different story.  All of this is
documented, albeit in a roundabout way (please be sure to read
EVERYTHING SLOWLY and do not skim), here:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/DTrace