arcmsr panic runnig 8.2 of 2011

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Sun Jun 26 14:24:06 UTC 2011

On 26-6-2011 15:02, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 02:19:30PM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> On 26-6-2011 13:50, Steven Hartland wrote:
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Willem Jan Withagen" <wjw at digiware.nl>

>>> Ahh when you said 8.2 that infers release not stable which is 8-stable
>>> in my mind.
>>>
>>> So to clarify all our machines are running 8.2-release with a few minor
>>> imports from stable to fix local issues such as the updated ixgbe driver.
>>>
>>> I don't have a box I can use to test stable I'm afraid sorry.
>>
>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> My sense is more or less the other way around. 8.2 would feel like
>> 8.2-stable, and only release when specifcally marked so.
>> But then that's probably where one is coming from. I always run
>> non-RELEASE version.
>>
>> Too bad, I only have one controller and it is in active use....
>> I'd otherwise build a clean system.
>>
>> But then use this as a point of attention, once you want to proceed from
>> release into stable....
>
> I would strongly recommend (to both of you) of referring to things by
> either full version string (e.g. 8.2-RELEASE or 8.2-STABLE), or
> alternatively by release tag (e.g. RELENG_8_2 or RELENG_8).  The "x.y"
> nomenclature hasn't ever sufficed.
>
> Regardless of what convention you go with, always remember to include
> your kernel/world build date (the date shown in "uname -a" is usually

> sufficient as long as you haven't done something nonsensical like
> rebuilding kernel and not world).  This is *especially* important when
> reporting issues with RELENG_8 (8.2-STABLE), because MFC's happen all
> the time, case in point.

Jeremy,

You are absolutely correct. Being an old fart on these lists I should
have known better.

However the kernel is not running, so getting things as an afterthought
is rather hard. Since it is my fileserver, I need it to be up to do most
sensible work.

Greping the kernel gives:
	FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #117: Fri Jun 24 06:28:46 CEST 2011

--WjW