arcmsr panic runnig 8.2 of 2011

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sun Jun 26 13:02:29 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 02:19:30PM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 26-6-2011 13:50, Steven Hartland wrote:
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Willem Jan Withagen" <wjw at digiware.nl>
> >
> >> Well the main key to the problem is that on 2011/06/06 the new version
> >> from Areca got imported. So if you have all your boxes with kernels
> >> predating 06-06, you're not running the new code.
> >>
> >> It the above is true and if you have a spare/development box, it would
> >> be interesting to see if a very recent 8.2-STABLE would work.
> >>
> >> But thanx for giving me a reference point.
> >
> > Ahh when you said 8.2 that infers release not stable which is 8-stable
> > in my mind.
> >
> > So to clarify all our machines are running 8.2-release with a few minor
> > imports from stable to fix local issues such as the updated ixgbe driver.
> >
> > I don't have a box I can use to test stable I'm afraid sorry.
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> My sense is more or less the other way around. 8.2 would feel like
> 8.2-stable, and only release when specifcally marked so.
> But then that's probably where one is coming from. I always run
> non-RELEASE version.
>
> Too bad, I only have one controller and it is in active use....
> I'd otherwise build a clean system.
>
> But then use this as a point of attention, once you want to proceed from
> release into stable....

I would strongly recommend (to both of you) of referring to things by
either full version string (e.g. 8.2-RELEASE or 8.2-STABLE), or
alternatively by release tag (e.g. RELENG_8_2 or RELENG_8).  The "x.y"
nomenclature hasn't ever sufficed.

Regardless of what convention you go with, always remember to include
your kernel/world build date (the date shown in "uname -a" is usually
sufficient as long as you haven't done something nonsensical like
rebuilding kernel and not world).  This is *especially* important when
reporting issues with RELENG_8 (8.2-STABLE), because MFC's happen all
the time, case in point.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |