Crashes with Promise controller

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sat Jun 18 16:49:43 UTC 2011

Am 13.06.2011 um 16:22 schrieb Christian Baer:

> I have to slightly explain the word "crash" here: I don't actually have
> to hard reset the system myself. My box just does a reboot by itself. No
> filesystem is unmounted cleanly and because the machine isn't really new
> and powerful fsck takes pretty long.

I can't help you with your controllers, but anyone in a position to help will likely want to know if the box simply resets, or if the kernel panics.  And if there are going to be any patches, you most certainly will want to get familiar with the debugger to help try stuff out.  The handbook has information on how to enable crash dumps and getting the kernel debugger going.  If you haven't done so already, try and get a serial console going, it helps tremendously to be able to cut&paste debugger info instead of trying to hand transcribe it.

HTH,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811