Building your own FreeBSD USB memstick image

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat Jun 18 01:23:01 UTC 2011

CC'ing Ken, Nathan, and Martin since they all have some insight to this
procedure.

Given the recent MFC of graid(8) to RELENG_8, I'd like to make my own
FreeBSD USB memstick image but with the latest RELENG_8 kernel/world.

For the USB memstick, I've found src/release/scripts/make-memstick.sh,
but there's no real explanation as to what "/path/to/directory" should
be, and that's probably because I'm not familiar with the "build a
base system" infrastructure.

Is the procedure for creating new FreeBSD memstick images documented
anywhere?

I've got some hints on the web that one should be using the DESTDIR knob
to accomplish this when building/installing world/kernel.  So would
something like this be the correct procedure (on a system already
running the latest RELENG_8 tag):

  mkdir /newimage   (or preferably a big filesystem)
  cd /usr/src
  make DESTDIR=/newimage buildworld
  make DESTDIR=/newimage buildkernel
  make DESTDIR=/newimage installkernel
  make DESTDIR=/newimage installworld
  cd /usr/src/release/scripts
  ./make-memstick.sh /newimage /var/tmp/my-memstick.img

I'd be surprised if it were really that easy, since Martin's "make your
own ISO image" stuff seems to do a heck of a lot more than that:
https://box.vx.sk/wsvn/mfsbsd/trunk/Makefile

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |