gpt labels for zfs partitions don't appear in /dev/gpt

Andrey V. Elsukov bu7cher at yandex.ru
Wed Jun 15 12:12:23 UTC 2011

On 15.06.2011 15:43, Bartosz Stec wrote:
> As you see I have ada{0-2}p3 labeled as disk{0-2} All labeled partitions have valid gpt id but
> zfs partitions don't have accesible gpt label in /dev/gpt:

It always worked so. Read geom(4) manual page, especially about SPOILING.

> As you see labels was firstly seen, but removed at the end. I tried to set blank label and then
> correct one again, but no luck.
> Any ideas what's possibly wrong here?

There are two reasons:
1. glabel does not create providers for providers which are already in use.
2. `gpart modify` does not touch partition provider and it is not spoiled and retasted.

> Problem appeared after my pool was broken and I imported it from some boot CD to fix this by "import
> -F".
>
> Now I have unreadable output from zpool commands, like this:
>
>         NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         zroot                                           ONLINE       0     0     0
>           raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
>             gptid/2ea57c66-bc69-11df-8955-0050dad823cd  ONLINE       0     0     0
>             gptid/5bc92016-6852-11df-a16c-0050dad823cd  ONLINE       0     0     0
>             gptid/87d467cc-bc3b-11df-8066-0050dad823cd  ONLINE       0     0     0

You can disable gptids and this output will be changed back:
echo kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0" >> /boot/loader.conf

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov