Making world but no kernel

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Jul 26 13:17:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 02:50:28PM +0200, Jerome Herman wrote:
> [very large snip]
>
> So here I am starting to think that my disklabel and fsck are not in
> sync with my kernel.

I've never heard of either of these utilities (bsdlabel/disklabel, nor
fsck) having to be "in sync with the kernel".  My opinion at this moment
in time is that you're barking up the wrong tree.

As I'm not familiar with the vinum infrastructure, GEOM-based or
without, others will have to assist with that.  However, I'm still not
able to discern what your "type" of gvinum volume is -- is it a mirror,
a stripe, or a raid5?

Others who are more familiar with vinum are probably going to ask you to
provide the full configuration details of your vinum setup, including
all the commands you issued to create it.  "gvinum printconfig" would be
a great start.

Furthermore, could you please provide the data I asked for with regards
to your storage devices?  In this case, /dev/ad5, /dev/ad6, and /dev/ad7
(assuming those are all which are on the system)?  Let's try to rule out
ANY underlying disk issues first, otherwise the rest of the above may
be wasted effort.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |