Making world but no kernel

Jerome Herman jherman at dichotomia.fr
Tue Jul 26 11:22:42 UTC 2011

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to rebuild world, but without
upgrading or even compiling the kernel.

The problem is such : I am presently working on a FreeBSD station that
seems to have quite a lot of problem, notably with fsck. I am starting
to wonder whether this BSD station was properly installed, or if some of
the system tools were pasted from older FreeBSD setup.
Since the machine is in a remote location, I would prefer to avoid full
reinstall if possible. Among other things, single user mode is not
available.

So I was wondering, if I get the full sources with sysinstall, can I
make buildworld and then installworld without going through the kernel
phase or would this be a bad idea ?

Thanks for your help

Jerome Herman