OS X Lion time machine => (afpd|iSCSI) => ZFS question

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 25 18:15:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 02:56:17PM -0700, Bakul Shah wrote:
> I am in no hurry to upgrade my MBP to OS X Lion but given Lion
> time machine and netatalk issues, I got wondering if iSCSI on
> FreeBSD is stable enough for time machine use. How much duct
> tape and baling wire are needed to make it work?!

Just a word of caution - I read somewhere that using iSCSI for Time
Machine means that you cannot use TM during an OS reinstall to
restore your files from the Time Machine archive as iSCSI isn't
available at that point.  It seems you have to use a locally
attached disk or AFP for the support to be there during
reinstall.  Not sure if thats still the case in Lion or not, I
would tend to suspect they still don't consider iSCSI a top tier
transport.

Regards,

Gary