Status of support for 4KB disk sectors

Thu Jul 21 13:02:52 UTC 2011

Quoting Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> (from Tue, 19 Jul 2011
14:33:27 -0700):

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Alexander Leidinger
> <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:41:24 -0700 Jeremy Chadwick
>> <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
>>
>>> But the currently "known method" is to use gnop(8).  Here's an
>>> example:
>>>
>>> http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/05/03/another-root-on-zfs-howto-optimized-for-4k-sector-drives/
>>>
>>> Now, that's for ZFS, but I'm under the impression the exact same is
>>> needed for FFS/UFS.
>>
>> Info: gnop will not work for FFS/UFS because gnop is a temporary
>> solution (needs to be done by hand at each reboot). For FFS/UFS you
>> need to align the slice/partition and chose a good blocksize/fragsize
>> combination (e.g. 32k/4k).

> Thanks, Alexander.
>
> This is what I had expected after reading the man pages, though I
> would think -b 65560 -f 8192' would be a bit more reasonable in this
> day of bloated file formats. it's been years since I have hit a
> problem with lack of inodes.

I suggest to test this somewhere first. I have no evidence that it can
not work, but the blocksize/fragsize settings where subject to some
unexpected results in the past when they where changed to a bad
combination. IIRC this should be fixed now, but my memory may cheat on
me...

Bye,
Alexander.

--
The speed of anything depends on the flow of everything.