diskless booting with 8.2 regression?

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Mon Jul 18 15:08:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:38:22 +0200 Gerrit Kühn
<gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de> wrote about diskless booting with 8.2
regression?:

I guess I found the root of all evil now: device nodes on zfs!

This is how a linux /dev/console looked on the 8.0-FreeBSD server on
zfsv15:

crw-------  1 root  wheel    5,   1 Oct 28	2010 /tank/diskless/gco-fe2/dev/console

Now, after updating to FreeBSD-8.2 and zfsv28 it looks like this on the server:

crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  255, 0xffff00ff Jul 18 16:33 /tank/diskless/pt-fe2/dev/console

Strange enough, the Linux client still displays the correct values when using "ls -la", but it refuses to work properly.
I tried creating new device nodes from the client side with mknod and I tried getting correct ones from a backup, but they always end up being broken. Even movong the directories over to a ufs volume leaves them unusable:

crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    0,   0 Jul 18 16:33 /tmp/console

Luckily, I am back into business now with my machines, because moving the stuff from zfs to ufs and dropping in a correct version of /dev on the ufs side works just fine.

However, it would be great if this could be fixed, because I do not have many ufs partitions left these days...

cu
  Gerrit