[workaround] Re: resume slow on Thinkpad T42 FreeBSD 8-STABLE

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Jul 11 05:17:01 UTC 2011

Thanks to a recent post by Bengt Ahlgren in mobile@, the 60 second stall
or freeze on resume from S3 suspend - an issue that's persisted since
8.0-R through present 8-STABLE and that has only been reported to affect
various models of Thinkpad (T23, T30, T42 and X40 to date) - has been
confirmed as being due to uhci.  Bengt discovered that a successful
workaround is to simply not have uhci loaded during suspend/resume.

On my T23, currently at 8.2-RELEASE i386, building a kernel from only

 include GENERIC
 ident NO_UHCI
 nodevice uhci
 nodevice ohci	# not used
 nodevice ehci	# not used on T23 (USB 1 only)

and adding

 uhci_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf,
 kldunload uhci  to /etc/rc.suspend and
 kldload uhci    to /etc/rc.resume

entirely eliminated my 60 second stall, and I once again feel confident
to build a working, travelling 8-STABLE system.  Thanks again Bengt, and
I hope that this will work also for you Ted, and for Vitaly and others.

So far I've seen no ill effects from having USB devices attached when
suspending, except that filesystems mounted via USB are inaccessible on
resume.  Even then there are no panics as used to occur pre-8.x in such
circumstances, umount/mount working to remount the fs .. though I've so
far only tested that with a PC-BSD memstick image mounted r/o.

I know nothing about the USB code, but would be happy to test patches;
maybe this problem with uhci can be identified and fixed before 9.0?

cheers, Ian