dell latitude 13

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 00:29:08 UTC 2011

On Jul 2, 2011 4:16 AM, "Zoran Kolic" <zkolic at sbb.rs> wrote:

> Thanks for answering my question.
>
> > Since the Intel chip is also still unsupported by FreeBSD, you will be
> > limited to VEDA support which is very limited.
>
> I found that dell sells ubuntu on mentioned laptop in some parts
> of the globe. Further, my old laptop (HP nx9020) has intel chip
> and works under intel driver. I need simple 2d, no frills. Does
> newer chip run for plain graphics at all? No acceleration? Fine.

Linux has the required GEM/KMS support, but FreeBSD does not. It is being
worked on, but I don't think it's near ready.

> I don't use it neither on my NVIDIA GeForce 6200 card with "nv"
> driver.

The Optimus is a GPU designed in conjunction with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs
which have integrated Intel 5000 graphics. Optimus acts as an external
accelerator using the Intel frame buffer. It will not work with any NVIDIA
driver; nv, the NVIDIA binary driver, or the nouveau driver. NVIDIA has been
clear that there is no plan to ever support Optimus on non-Windows systems.

> > For laptops you may check the following site :
> > http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/
>
> Old and no newer machines on the site.
>
> > Also check FreeBSD Hardware lists such as

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/8.2-RELEASE/HARDWARE.HTM

http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/subnotebooks-once-again-td4197868.html
> If the list thinks I should wait, it is a metter of adding the code
> as on this link:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/archive/index.php/t-21852.html

If it is a 4500, you will have at least minimal graphics support. You should
be able to disable the NVIDIA daughter card on BIOS, but I would not want to
guarantee it.

Good luck!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Retired