NFS 75 second stall

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Jan 18 14:08:08 UTC 2011

> We're occaisionally seeing these same types of stalls (+ repeated "is
> not responding" "is alive again" messages in quick succession). We're
> seeing it only on our 8.1-RELEASE systems against a variety of NFS
> servers (6.3-RELEASE, 7.2-RELEASE, and 8-STABLE from before the
> release
> of 8.1). We also see it happen with a variety of client hardware and
> network adapters (em, bce, bge); the only common denominator is
> 8.1-RELEASE on the clients.

I think this might be fixed by r217242 in head, which went into stable/8
as r217527. This krpc patch is also available at:
   http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/krpc.patch

Thanks go to John Gemignani for spotting this bug in the krpc code.

It will not be in 8.2, so please grab the patch if you are using either
NFS client in any FreeBSD8.n system, rick