sed is broken under freebsd?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Jan 12 07:18:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 02:32:52AM +0100, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> hi all!
>
> The freebsd versions of sed contained a bug/regression, when \n char
> can i subsitue, gsed not affected with this bug:

> FreeBSD xxx 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jul 19 02:55:53
> UTC 2010     root at almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>  i386
> aa at xxx ~> echo axa | sed s/x/\n/g
> ana
> aa at xxx ~> echo axa | sed s/x/'\n'/g
> ana

Different than GNU is not a bug.

I have 7.3 here.  It behaves as the above, which is how the man page says it
should work.  The following is how the man page specifies you can substitute
a newline, by prefacing a quoted actual newline with a backslash:

$ echo axa | sed 's/x/\
> /g'

  That's how I remember classic sed behaving (Unix v7 or thereabouts.)
  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/