8.2-PRERELEASE: live deadlock, almost all processes in "pfault" state

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 8 18:45:13 UTC 2011

Hello, Freebsd-stable.

 I've added `transmission' BitTorrent client to my home server and now
it deadlocks easily (after about 1 hour of intensive download and
seeding). This server is upgraded from 7.x and last time I've run
transmission on 7.x system without any problems.

 I have home partition on geom_raid5 device, so I can not exclude this
third-party module from experiments.

 My home filsystem has 32KiB block and all other filesystems (/, /var,
/tmp, /usr) has standard 16KiB block sizes. I know, that 7.x system
had (has?) deadlock when 16KiB and 64KiB file systems are mixed up on
one system, but I never experienced deadlocks with 16KiB and 32KiB
mixture.

 All filesystems (Except root) is SU, but no gjournal so SU_J patch
are in use.

 Same BitTorrent client on same filesystem, but accessed via NFS (from
other host), doesn't cause deadlock and works rock-stable for days.

 I've built kernel with all debug options, waited for deadlock and
collect all information, mentioned in Developer's Handbook / Debugging
Deadlocks.

 Capture from debug session is attached, together with kernel config
and dmesg from rebooting.

 As I can easily reproduce this deadlock, I could provide any
additional information from kernel debugger, if needed.

System:   FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE
cvsup:    2011-01-08 00:41:24 MSK (GTM+3) time
Platform: amd64

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>