NFS - DNS fail stops boot in mountlate

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 7 02:28:56 UTC 2011

On 01/06/2011 18:19, grarpamp wrote:
> So what was unclear?

I thought I probably understood your situation, but I wanted to be sure.
Not to mention the value of the more general point.  :)

> mount_nfs emits a nonzero exit status upon failing to look
> up an FQDN causing mountlate to trigger a dump to shell
> on boot during rc processing. That's a *showstopper*.

The canonical answer to this is to either mount them by IP, or to put
the appropriate name in /etc/hosts. Depending on DNS for NFS mounts is
not recommended.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go