FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE hangs under load with "live" kernel

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 6 10:51:44 UTC 2011

Hello, Freebsd-stable.

 I've  added  torrent  client  (transmission)  to  software on my home
 server  and it starts to hang in very unusual way: kernel works but
 userland doesn't.

   I can ping it (and it answers). I can scroll console with
 "scrolllock" button and keys. I can break into debugger with
 Ctrl+SysReq and it shows, that one CPU is occupied by idle process and
 other by "Giant tasq", but no userland processes answer: I can not
 ssh to it, I cannot login on console, samba is dead, etc.

   "ps" in kernel debugger shows, that many of processes in "pfault"
 state, and noting more "special".

   memtest86+ doesn't show any errors after 8 passes of tests (about
 10 hours), so RAM looks Ok.

   What should I do in kdb to understand what happens?

   Kernel config and /var/run/dmesg.boot is attached.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>