8.2-PRERELEASE and Flash

ben paley ben.pyttipanna at spooty.net
Tue Jan 4 15:45:49 UTC 2011

Hello,

I've been using FreeBSD since 3.4 but I've been away for a while. Now
I've put 8.2 on an old laptop, and everything's lovely except power
management (I'll get round to that eventually) and the Flash plug in.

I've followed the steps at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/desktop-browsers.html without any
errors, except that neither Firefox nor any other browser will play
flash movies. about:plugins doesn't show a flash plugin.

I've spent a while googling and all I can find is variations on the
instructions from the handbook. I don't know where to start looking for
the problem.

I'd be really grateful to whoever could point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot,
Ben