ZFS v28 and zil_disable

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat Jan 1 00:32:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 08:01:17PM -0400, Chris Forgeron wrote:
> Oh, and then I read what I post, and notice that the zil_disable parts are in the .orig files, from the patch. :-)
>
> Oh well, I guess I'll just have to invest in a proper ZIL device.

You shouldn't disable the ZIL[1], and you don't need a "proper ZIL
device" for the ZIL to work.  FreeBSD ZFS, like its Solaris counterpart,
offers the ability for the ZIL to be associated with one or more
dedicated devices[1].  These are referred to as "log" devices (not to be
confused with "cache" devices).

In the case you use a dedicated device for your ZIL, be aware that you
should probably use two[2] devices (or if a single physical device, two
slices) else risk data integrity problems.

Switching over to a brief mention of "cache" devices, there is one
case[3] of someone experiencing high CPU when either a USB flash drive
or an SSD drive[4], where rebooting the system apparently solved the
problem (we do not know if this was the case permanently or
temporarily).

[1]: http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Evil_Tuning_Guide#Disabling_the_ZIL_.28Don.27t.29
[2]: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=18221
[3]: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-November/060014.html