8.2/7.4-RELEASEs Announced...

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 27 03:38:50 UTC 2011

When I was looking at this problem myself recently it occurred to me
that one way to handle it would be to have the freebsd-update code build
and populate the temproot directory that mergemaster uses and then offer
the user the option to use that alternative. The process could use
something like what's done in src/release/scripts/mm-mtree.sh if this
direction is desirable. Obviously the temproot directory would have to
be distributed as an additional blob by freebsd-update, but this method
has the advantage of reusing existing tools, and it's able to handle
updates from arbitrarily old existing installations.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go