8.1 amd64 lockup (maybe zfs or disk related)

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Feb 22 11:17:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:05:00AM +0000, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 00:55 -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> > # NOTE: Systems with 8GB of RAM or more have prefetch enabled by default.
> > vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
>
> I think ZFS is enabled with 4 GB or more, not 8 GB:
>
> "ZFS NOTICE: Prefetch is disabled by default if less than 4GB of RAM is
> present; to enable, add "vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=0"
> to /boot/loader.conf."

The message ZFS on FreeBSD spits out (shown above) is somewhat
inaccurate.  I spent the time looking at the code and blogged about the
condition over a year ago:

http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/testing-out-freebsd-8-0-rc1/

Search for "ZFS NOTICE: system has less than 4GB" on the page above.

I still feel the message needs to be re-worded, despite having gone
through multiple changes of phrasing already.