Problem with ipfw and libalias on 8.2-PRERELEASE

Sergey Kandaurov pluknet at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 09:28:39 UTC 2011

On 22 February 2011 00:30, Etienne Robillard <erob at gthcfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm unable to load the ipfw module in 8.2-PRELEASE. i think
> this may be due to ABI changes at the kernel level. ,
>
> $ sudo kldload /boot/kernel/ipfw.ko
> $ dmesg
> KLD ipfw.ko: depends on libalias - not available or version mismatch
> linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD marina.localdomain 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #1: Wed Feb
> 16 03:38:23 EST 2011
> root@:/usr/local/freebsd8/src/sys/amd64/compile/GENERIC.ndebug  amd64
>
> could there be a more precise explanation?

In recent 8.x you first need to kldload libalias.ko.
It was broken in 8 since MFC r200636 (and still broken in head),
where ipfw.ko includes ipfw_nat, which depends on libalias.

I think either ipfw should un-include ipfw_nat stuff,
or pollute self more and take explicit dependency on libalias.

--
wbr,
pluknet