system crash during make installworld

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Feb 21 18:06:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:56:36 +0200
Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:

> on 21/02/2011 10:04 David J Brooks said the following:
> > As the subject suggests, my laptop crashed during make installworld. The new
> > kernel boots, but the ELF interpreter is not found and I cannot get to a single
> > user prompt. What is the least painful way to proceed?
>
> My take would be an alternative bootable media: live CD or install CD or etc.

Or, if the hard drive is easy to get at, and he has the a (S)ATA-to-usb dongle / dock; connect the hard drive to another FreeBSD
machine and copy required files off that one.

But first things first: does the old kernel still boot? (depending on
how far in the process make installworld came, it might)

HTH
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen