mps(4) driver (LSI 6Gb SAS) commited to stable/8

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Feb 18 23:02:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 02:38:32PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> Please be aware of a performance issue affecting certain models of WD
> RE4 disks.  Specifics are still sketchy, but you should read the thread
> "immense delayed write to file system (ZFS and UFS2), performance
> issues" in full to get an idea of the problem:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-January/thread.html#54185
>
> There's confirmation of the problem here, with the statement that WD
> gave at least one person a firmware image that fixed the problem:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-January/054489.html

I'm not sure if this is exactly the same issue, but I also had to flash
some WD drives a few month ago.
There was a bad firmware version on some 2TB RE4-GP models; disks kept
getting removed from RAID volumes due to write timeouts.

> Buyer beware.  :-)  And remember, it's not an issue with the
> brand/vendor, just certain models.

Disks these days are no longer just disks, but complete computers with
ram, many processors, and the associated software issues...

--
Francois Tigeot