statd/lockd startup failure

george+freebsd at m5p.com george+freebsd at m5p.com
Wed Feb 9 14:20:28 UTC 2011

Under 8.2-PRERELEASE (GENERIC kernel), about 15% of the times I boot up
(with rpc.statd and rpc.lockd enabled in rc.conf), I get:

Feb  4 07:31:11 wonderland rpc.statd: bindresvport_sa: Address already in use
Feb  4 07:31:11 wonderland root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start statd

and slightly later:

Feb  4 07:31:36 wonderland kernel: NLM: unexpected error contacting NSM, stat=5, errno=35

I can start rpc.statd and rpc.lockd manually at this point (and I have to
start them to run firefox and mail with my NFS-mounted home directory and
mail spool).  But what might cause the above errors?   -- George Mitchell