Error produced by static ip setting: ifconfig: inet: bad value

Yue Wu vanopen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 01:56:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 02:50:25PM +0100, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2011 13:57:29 Yue Wu wrote:
> > List,
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I use following setting for my wireless networking enviroment:
> >
> >     ifconfig_wlan0="mode 11g bssid my:bssid wepmode on weptxkey 1
> > wepkey 1:0x1111111111 DHCP"
> >
> > But I don't like DHCP and want to use static ip, so I tried:
> >
> >     ifconfig_wlan0="mode 11g bssid my:bssid wepmode on weptxkey 1
> > wepkey 1:0x1111111111 inet 192.168.1.144  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> >
> > But the setting makes BSD networking not working anymore, and when
> > the system starts up, there's an error message:
> >
> >     ifconfig: inet: bad value
> >
> > What's wrong? How to use static ip in my wireless networking?
>
> Remove the 'inet', it isn't required.

Thanks Schmidt, I haven't tried with your advice because the issue has
gone after I put the `inet' in front of the value of ifconfig_wlan0, I
will take a note for your hint and try it next time ;p

p.s., examples in the handbook [1] have the `inet', why?

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

--
Regards,
Yue Wu

Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
China Pharmaceutical University
No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China