net/samba36 winbindd core dump on group lookup

Shaun Meyer meyersh at morningside.edu
Fri Dec 16 19:51:51 UTC 2011

freebsd-stable@,

I'm building Samba using net/samba36 with the following config:
     LDAP=on "With LDAP support"
     ADS=on "With Active Directory support"
     CUPS=off "With CUPS printing support"
     WINBIND=on "With WinBIND support"
     SWAT=off "With SWAT WebGUI"
     ACL_SUPPORT=on "With ACL support"
     AIO_SUPPORT=off "With Asyncronous IO support"
     FAM_SUPPORT=off "With File Alteration Monitor"
     SYSLOG=off "With Syslog support"
     QUOTAS=on "With Disk quota support"
     UTMP=off "With UTMP accounting support"
     PAM_SMBPASS=off "With PAM authentication vs passdb backends"
     DNSUPDATE=off "With dynamic DNS update(require ADS)"
     AVAHI=off "With Bonjour service discovery support"
     EXP_MODULES=on "With experimental modules"
     POPT=on "With system-wide POPT library"
     IPV6=on "With IPv6 support"
     MAX_DEBUG=off "With maximum debugging"
     SMBTORTURE=off "With smbtorture"

I am able to join winbind to our 2003 domain, no problem. I'm using
idmap_rid(8) backend and am using nss_winbind to enumerate uid/gid's.

This set up runs fine for a few minutes (10?) until winbind begins
dumping core when I do a group look up something like `getent group`
or `id`.

Before the core dumping begins: `wbinfo -g` returns all groups,
`getent passwd` returns all users, `getent group` returns all groups,
and `id [user]` returns all information as it should.

After the core dumping begins: `wbinfo -g` returns all groups, `getent
passwd` returns all users, `getent group` or `id [user]` causes a core
dump in winbindd. The daemon continues running however.

After the core dumping routine starts, I have to do some gyrations of
`rm -rf /var/db/samba /usr/local/etc/samba`, restarting services, and
joining/leaving the domain to get another ~10 minutes of functioning
winbind.

With MAX_DEBUG=on, I tried to use gdb on the winbindd.core file which
shows lines like "#1627 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()" and similar. I'm
guessing this is to do with other system libs that are not compiled
with -g, but I'm over my head here on FreeBSD system specifics.

So I have two questions:
1) Will a buildworld with debugging symbols get me more meaningful
output from gdb `backtrace full` and is this the best way?

2) Has anyone else experienced similar issues with net/samba36? I can
reproduce this bug on both 9.0-RC2 and 8.2-RELEASE-p3.

Your advice is appreciated,

-- Shaun Meyer