Two problems still present in RC3

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Fri Dec 9 18:01:50 UTC 2011

At 03:10 AM 12/9/2011, Johan Hendriks wrote:

>After a /etc/netstart, i get the following:
>ifconfig: create: bad value.

I get the "create: bad value" messages as well. What's more, if I
change rc.conf to assign variables of the form ifconfig_*, such as

ifconfig_re0_1="inet 192.168.0.1"
ifconfig_re0_1_alias0="inet 192.168.0.2"

instead of using an ip_addrs_* variable, I still get those messages.

I have confirmed that if I run /etc/netstart after booting, I lose
connectivity just as you do.

I recognize the challenge of specifying the network configuration
in a declaratory rather than a procedural environment, because
there are so many contingencies and possible combinations of
parameters. But there doesn't seem to be any combination of
variables I can assign in rc.conf that doesn't cause errors when I
try to create VLANs.

--Brett Glass