Two problems still present in RC3

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Fri Dec 9 15:37:21 UTC 2011

On 12/9/11 10:13 AM, Brett Glass wrote:
> FreeBSD 9.0-RC3 is looking good, but I'm still encountering two problems.
>
> Firstly, when I try to configure VLANs in /etc/rc.conf, I'm getting
> errors. For example, if I use
>
> vlans_re0="1 2"
> ip_addrs_re0_1="192.168.0.1-4/16"
> ip_addrs_re0_2="10.0.0.0/24"
>
> to create two VLANs on the interface re0, I get error messages saying
> that "create" commands (presumably using ifconfig) have failed. The
> interfaces SEEM to be configured correctly, but the messages -- which
> must be coming from scripts called by /etc/netstart -- are troubling.
>
> Secondly, there's still some strangeness in the sc terminal emulation.
> When I run jove, the status line at the bottom of the screen isn't
> entirely in reverse video as it should be. Only parts of it are, and the
> highlighting changes -- seemingly at random -- as I work.
>
> Neither of these is likely to be a showstopper (so long as the first
> won't cause me networking problems I haven't observed yet), but both are
> probably worth looking into.

I have never seen this way of configuring VLANs.

Find below how I set them up on our firewalls, which works like a charm,
but on 8.2.

You may still want to give it a try on 9.0RC3, that might solve your
problem.

### NETWORKING

# Configure link aggregation
ifconfig_bce0="up"
ifconfig_bce1="up"
ifconfig_em0="up"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport bce0 laggport bce1 laggport em0"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0 vlan14 vlan24 vlan34 carp14 carp24 carp34"

# VLAN14 - WAN
ifconfig_vlan14="inet [snip] vlan 14 vlandev lagg0 up"

# VLAN24 - DMZ
ifconfig_vlan24="inet 192.168.24.252/24 vlan 24 vlandev lagg0 up"

# VLAN34 - LAN
ifconfig_vlan34="inet 192.168.34.252/24 vlan 34 vlandev lagg0 up"

# VLAN 611 - VPNs
ifconfig_vlan611="inet 10.106.11.252/24 vlan 611 vlandev lagg0 up"