Unable to shutdown

Bengt Ahlgren bengta at sics.se
Sun Aug 28 20:20:57 UTC 2011

Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> writes:

> I've run into an odd problem with dismounting file systems on a
> Seagate Expansion portable
> USB drive. Running 8-stable on an amd64 system and with two FAT32
> (msdosfs) file systems
> on the drive.
>
> The drive is "green" and spins down when idle.  If an attempt is made
> to shutdown the
> system while the drive is spun down, the system goes through the usual
> shutdown including
> flushing all buffer out to disk, but when the final disk access to
> mark the file systems as
> clean, the drive never spins up and the system hangs until it is
> powered down. I've found no
> way to avoid this other then to remember to access the disk and cause
> it to spin up before
> shutting down.
>
> If I attempt to unmount the file systems when the drive is shut down.
> the same thing
> happens, but I can recover as the second file system is still mounted
> and an ls(1) to that file
> system will cause the disk to spin up and everything is fine.
>
> This looks like a bug, but I don't see why the unmounting of an
> msdosfs system does not
> spin up the drive. It's clearly hanging on some operation that is not
> spinning up the drive,
> but does block.
>
> Any ideas what is going on? Possible fix?

Not a solution to your problem, but a data point:

I have a WD Passport 750GB (2.5") drive with an UFS filesystem on it.  I
don't think I've tried shutdown with the drive mounted, but I've
experienced no problems after the drive has spun down, including umount.
There is just a delay while it spins up.  This is on 8.2-REL/i386, that
is, with the new USB stack.

Bengt