Unknown Re0 Hardware version

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Sun Aug 21 23:15:13 UTC 2011

On 2011-08-22 1:01, YongHyeon PYUN wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 04:01:10PM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm assembling a few system with a ASUS P8 H161-MLE motherboard
>> which was supposed to have a 'Realtek® 8112L, 1 x Gigabit LAN
>> Controller(s)' onboard.
>>
>> And to be honestly I never expected that version not to be supported.
>> Just booted 8.2-RELEASE on it, and the Installer crashed when I wanted
>> it to config the ehternet.
>>
>> Rebooted, and re0 kicks in. But gives a HW revision not supported.
>> It claims HW revision 0x2c800000.
>>
>> Is this supported in later 8.2-Stable??? Or in 9.x??
>>
>> I'm willing to tinker with the code to recompile the re0 driver.
>>

> Your controller looks like RTL8168E VL and support for the
> controller was added after 8.2-RELEASE.
> Either update your source to stable/8 or patch your source tree
> with back-ported re(4) driver for 8.2-RELEASE like the following.
>
> 1. Fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/8.2R/if_re.c and
>     copy it to /usr/src/sys/dev/re directory.
> 2. Fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/8.2R/if_rlreg.h and
>     copy it /usr/src/sys/pci directory.
> And rebuild your kernel and your controller should be recognized in
> next boot.

Hi YongHyeon PYUN,

Oke, that would mean I temporarily have to insert another ether card
to get things onboard. Or use the sneaker network. :)

I did check the 9.x stuff, but there the revision number was not in
/usr/src/sys/pci/if_rlreg.h ....
And you are right, they are in 8.2-STABLE.

Thanx for the files and pointers

--WjW