debugging frequent kernel panics on 8.2-RELEASE

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 11:26:06 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andriy Gapon" <avg at FreeBSD.org>

> Probably I have mistakenly assumed that the 'prison' in prison_derefer() has
> something to do with an actual jail, while it could have been just prison0 where
> all non-jailed processes belong.

That makes sense as this particular panic was caused by a machine reboot,
which is slightly different from the more common jail panic we're seeing.

Doesn't help with our reproduction scenario though unfortunately. If we
don't have any joy reproducing on our single test machine I'll have this
kernel rolled out across a portion of the farm, which should mean we
see the panic results in a few days time.

I understand there's a risk involved in this but, its important for us
to determine the cause and get a confirmed fix, as well as being able
to prove that the panic fix works which will help everyone in the long
run.

    Regards
    Steve