ZFS vs OSX Time Machine

Thomas Ronner thomas at ronner.org
Thu Apr 28 15:32:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 4/28/11 4:03 PM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Does anyone else use ZFS to store TM backups?
>
> I find that whenever my laptop (over wifi!) starts a TM the ZFS machine it's backing up to grinds to a halt.. Other systems streaming stuff over NFS from it also tend to stall..

Are you using zfs compression? If so, try turning that off.

I have a pool with a couple of filesystems with gzip-9 compression
enabled. Whenever I write (using zfs receive, it is a backup server) to
one of those volumes the whole pool stalls with lots of disk activity.
Even creating a  snapshot on another filesystem within the same pool
lasts a couple of minutes.

Does anyone know how to make this perform a little better? It's only
writing small amounts (70-100 ops/s, 1 MB/s) on an otherwise idle pool.
Still the drive leds blink like crazy. One of my two CPU cores is maxed
out, the other is idle. I suppose it won't get any faster (it's CPU
bound because of the heavy gzip compression), but why is the pool so
slow? Is zfs receive using synchonous writes?

Sorry for maybe being offtopic :-)

Regards,
Thomas