MPS driver: force bus rescan after remove SAS cable

Rumen Telbizov telbizov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 03:07:37 UTC 2011

Hello Denny, everyone,

I confirm I experience the same behavior with just a SAS expander not via
SAS switch.
I've got no way to get my block device back but reboot. Also identify
function doesn't work
from the OS (no problem via the card BIOS). Don't remember having any luck
with sg3_util
package either but worth trying again.

I talked to LSI about their own version of the driver and I was told that
work on the FreeBSD
driver is in progress apparently and there will be a driver sometime the
first half of this year.

Otherwise the driver and the chip (experience based on 9211-8i controller)
seem to be working
OK for me so far. I am in progress of putting a 9200-8e in production the
coming week so I can share
experience with this as well.

On a related note: recently LSI released version 9.0 of their firmware for
SAS2008 and I
found it fixes certain performance problems with SuperMicro backplanes!

Cheers,
Rumen Telbizov

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Alexander Motin <mav at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 27.04.2011 16:39, Denny Schierz wrote:
>
>> Am Mittwoch, den 27.04.2011, 05:57 -0700 schrieb Jeremy Chadwick:
>>
>>> camcontrol reset 0
>>>

>> 0:22:0 is available, 0:46:0 not:
>>
>> root at iscsihead-m:~# camcontrol reset 0:22:0
>> Reset of 0:22:0 was successful
>>
>> root at iscsihead-m:~# camcontrol reset 0:46:0
>> camcontrol: cam_open_btl: no passthrough device found at 0:46:0
>>

> You should reset whole bus, not the specific LUN. Full reset doesn't need
> that passthrough device. IIRC it works via xpt0.
>

>  We bought the LSI SAS6160 switch:
>>

>> http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/sas_switch/sas6100/index.html
>>
>> use the LSI 9200-8e hostbusadapter and LSI JBODs 630j. We had a lot of
>> e-mail conversation with LSI and they mean, that we need the switch for
>> a clear failover setup.
>> Also a reason for the switch: increase storage with more jbods. Every
>> jbod has his own cable to the (later) redundant switch. Otherwise we
>> have to build a "bus" from JBOD to JBOD to JBOD to JBOD to host ... bad
>> idea ;-)
>>
>> The question is, what does the driver while FreeBSD starts?
>>

> CAM exactly does full bus reset and after few seconds full rescan. What
> controller driver may do except it depends on it alone.
>
> --
> Alexander Motin

Rumen Telbizov
http://telbizov.com