Missing serial port after enabling serial console in loader.conf

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 18 18:34:55 UTC 2011

On Monday, April 18, 2011 1:22:59 pm Przemyslaw Frasunek wrote:
> > 1) Add a printf to sioprobe() in sys/dev/sio/sio.c to output an error message
> > when it fails to allocate a SYS_RES_IOPORT device at the very beginning.
>
> Done. I'll need to wait until next reboot - it's a production box, so it has to
> be done in night hours.
>
> > 2) Capture 'acpidump -d' output and post it somewhere?
>
> http://www.frasunek.com/tmp/acpidump.txt

Hmm, I think we have the answer:

                Device (UAR1)
                {
                    Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0501"))
                    Name (_UID, 0x01)
                    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (SOLE)
                        {
                            Return (0x00)
                        }

The _STA method is used to query a device's status, and a status of 0 means
that the device is disabled.  I believe that this means that when you have
SOL enabled (SOLE?) that COM1 is marked inactive so the OS ignores the device.

--
John Baldwin