ZFS root on MB Intel S3420GP

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sun Apr 17 18:54:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 10:45:38PM +0400, Lystopad Olexandr wrote:
>  Hello, Jeremy Chadwick!

> > > Simply add ahci_load="YES" in loader.conf? Or something else?
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> > I tend to do the following from the very beginning of a new FreeBSD box
> > installation, however:
> >
> > - Boot FreeBSD installation medium (PXE, CD, USB, whatever)
> > - At beastie menu, escape to loader prompt and do "load ahci" then
> >   "boot"
> > - Install FreeBSD like usual, creating slices/partitions on adaX disks
> >   like normal, etc...
> > - When the system reboots, at the beastie prompt, make sure to escape to
> >   loader and do "load ahci" then "boot" again.
> > - Once the system is finally up, edit /boot/loader.conf to add
> >   ahci_load="yes".
>
> What about ahci_load="YES" after freebsd install? Is it too late?

I don't recommend enabling ahci.ko after the OS has already been
installed on an adX disk, simply because I believe the combination of
GEOM+CAM+ahci may show different geometry details than GEOM+ata would.

Note: I said "I believe", not "I can confirm/validate".  I could be
completely wrong.  Rather than find out ( :-) ) I tend to try and do
things consistently from the very beginning.

So you can try it if you want, be my guest, report back.