Constant rebooting after power loss

Clayton Milos clay at milos.co.za
Fri Apr 1 16:27:13 UTC 2011

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 03:29:39PM +0200, Marko Lerota wrote:
>> George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Not with the same behavior and it depends on what your server is doing
>> > at
>> > the time of the power interruption.
>>
>> It was in stage of booting after first power loss.
>>
>> > but ZFS is not the solution to your problem. ZFS is not designed to
>> > replace
>> > the needs of a UPS.
>>
>> I'm just asking if this wouldn't happen if I used ZFS. I read that ZFS
>> don't need fsck because the files are always consistent on filesystem
>> regardless of power loses. That the corruption can occur only if disks
>> are damaged. But not when power goes down. I'm not planing to buy UPS
>> for home use.
>
> I really don't know much about ZFS, but I do know about disks (I work on
> SAS
> device drivers for AIX and deal with lots of disks); and I doubt that any
> filesystem is going to be immune to sudden power failures when writing to
> disk. At least I wouldn't trust them. If you care about the integrity of
> your
> data, I would reconsider your plans about the UPS.
>
> --
> Bob Willcox              Trying to explain things to people who already
> know
> bob at immure.com           everything is like trying to teach a bear to
> dance;
> Austin, TX               it's useless, and it annoys the bear.

I used to live in Sotuh Africa where the power gets bad at times. A UPS was
a requirement for me to get my work done uninterrupted. Small UPS units are
not expensive nowadays and it will protect the power supplies from brownouts
and spikes as well. You will seldom make as good a small investment as a
UPS.

If you are really anti-UPS for some reason then at least do what Stefan
suggested or go into the BIOS and set the motherboard's power state after AC
failure to OFF. This means you will have to press a button to power it on
again which should be when the power is stable again.

Honestly though, if the power is as bad as it seems where you are I'm
surprised you haven't bought a UPS already. You can get them at 50 Euro for
a small one. It will pay for iself in hardware cost alone. I've had power
spikes taking out PSU's and hard drives before.

-Clay