Constant rebooting after power loss

Marat N.Afanasyev amarat at ksu.ru
Fri Apr 1 15:42:34 UTC 2011

Marko Lerota wrote:
> George Kontostanos<gkontos.mail at gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> Not with the same behavior and it depends on what your server is doing at
>> the time of the power interruption.
>
> It was in stage of booting after first power loss.
>
>> but ZFS is not the solution to your problem. ZFS is not designed to replace
>> the needs of a UPS.
>
> I'm just asking if this wouldn't happen if I used ZFS. I read that ZFS
> don't need fsck because the files are always consistent on filesystem
> regardless of power loses. That the corruption can occur only if disks
> are damaged. But not when power goes down. I'm not planing to buy UPS
> for home use.

to ensure consistency you should turn off physical drive caches, and
degrade performance significantly, sometimes up to 1000x. if this is
what you want, you may use either zfs or sync ufs. in such case you may
be almost sure that your filesystems are consistent. but if you use
drive's cache, then without UPS you will face data loss and vanished
filesystem earlier or later

--
С уважением, Марат Афанасьев